Gasification

Moderator: jasper

Gasification

Postby hiren » 31 October 2018, 16:41

Hello, in the attached file can i eliminate fixed conversion reactor and carry out the reactions currently happening in fixed conversion reactor to take place in CSTR and gibbs used ahead itself ....as it shows some equilibrium error?
Attachments
1.fsd
(31.08 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
hiren

Re: Gasification

Postby jasper » 01 November 2018, 15:30

The warnings can be ignored for now - but I will check its cause.
jasper

Postby hiren » 01 November 2018, 16:53

Sir what about the reactions happening in fixed conversion reactor which I actually want to carry out in cstr & gibbs, and remove the fixed conversion reactor?
hiren

Postby jasper » 02 November 2018, 08:38

The Gibbs reactor is not an option - phase changes are not accounted for in the Gibbs minimization.

The CSTR uses the reaction phase to calculate the equilibrium constants or reaction rates. In the next version of the reaction specification this will change and the CSTR may be adapted, but, in the current version of the reaction specification, these properties are associated with a phase. Therefore the CSTR is also not an option for multi-phase reactions like these.

What kinetics or equilibrium model do you have? Or do you want to perform a Gibbs minimization?
jasper

Postby hiren » 03 November 2018, 15:14

The data which i have used and what i intend to do is given here
http://www.ep.liu.se/ecp/119/015/ecp15119015.pdf

my fsd file is also attached.
Attachments
1.fsd
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
hiren

Postby jasper » 05 November 2018, 08:46

The process type suggests that, as the concentration of CO2 is used in the kinetics, electrolyte thermodynamics should be used for an accurate description. However, the article itself states that SRK is used.

Modelling of the CSTR seems fairly straight forward, using e.g. Excel, Matlab or Scilab and a simple equation solver to solve for the reaction extents for which the reaction rates match the kinetic expression.

Modelling of the Gibbs reactor requires inclusion of a Gibbs term for carbon. The remaining terms can simply be obtained from G = H - T * S where H = enthalpyF and S is entropyF. Also this can be done in Excel, Matlab or Scilab, using a multi-dimensional minimization (e.g. modify reaction extents so that total Gibbs energy is minimized).
jasper

Postby jasper » 05 November 2018, 08:47

Care should be taken that the Gibbs term for carbon uses the same reference state as the remaining Gibbs terms.
jasper

Return to COUSCOUS Unit Operations (AmsterCHEM)