HYSYS file with MATALB cape-open unit operation

Discussions about use of CAPE-OPEN interfaces in Aspen Hysys, a piece of software developed and marketed by Aspentech.

HYSYS file with MATALB cape-open unit operation

Postby Motad » 27 September 2016, 12:03

Hello!!!
I used MATLAB cape-open unit operation in HYSYS with the fluid package named "MyFluid" created by TEA. Now I want to send it to another computer ("computer 2") which has MATLAB cape-open unit operation and HYSYS installed. However, after sending the HYSYS file, the HYSYS on the "computer 2" does not recognize the fluid package "MyFluid". How can I solve this issue?

Thank you !!!
Motad

Re: HYSYS file with MATALB cape-open unit operation

Postby jasper » 28 September 2016, 09:58

Many simulators will save the thermodynamics configuration to inside the flowsheet file. Unforunately AspenPlus does not (yet) do so, so you will have to manually set up the thermo package at the target computer. Options include:

1) copy the entire thermodynamic configuration (which includes all package configurations) from the source machine to the target machine. These are stored in %APPDATA%\COCO\data\TeaConfig.dat, or
2) use ConfigureTEA (start menu) at the target machine to set up the package with the same name and same compounds and same models, or
3) transfer a flowsheet file that contains the thermo package using a simulator that does support both editing and persistence of thermodynamic packages, for example COCO. On the source machine, create an empty flowsheet and just load the thermo package you need at the target machine. Save the flowsheet. Take the flowsheet to the target machine, open it there. Then edit the package. In the File menu of the TEA dialog, you will find "Store as template". This will add the package to the machine configuration of packages.
jasper

Postby Motad » 28 September 2016, 14:01

I used method 1 to send the fluid package to the target computer. HYSYS in the target computer recognizes the fluid package and the properties of its components, except the molecular weights of hypothetical components. Is it a known problem?
I have another question:
Why is there another "TeaConfig.dat" in this folder: C:\Program Files\COCO\data?

Thank you very much !!!
Motad

Postby jasper » 30 September 2016, 07:18

The TEAConfig.dat in the installation folder is the default copy. If the user copy exists, it will be used.
jasper

Postby colancto » 30 September 2016, 08:49

There must be an attempt by Aspen Hysys to match hypothetical compounds in the external Property Package, here from TEA, with information within Aspen Hysys. Very often PMEs are looking at compounds within a Property Package and are associated whatever they find with compounds in their database. The reason to do that is to ensure that any missing information within the Property Package won't make the run go sore. While the objective is understandable, it does not really fit with the CAPE-OPEN approach.

All the information regarding compounds should be taken from the Property Package, otherwise there could be discrepancies between what the Property Package offers as data and what the PME provides as data.

At this stage I would encourage you to log the issue with Aspentech. I would recommend you document the issue using a Unit Operation from the COUSCOUS library and the PP you developed in TEA. No need to introduce Matlab in the problem documentation. Aspentech Support needs to be able to reproduce the error before escalating the issue to development.
colancto
Administrateur

Postby Motad » 30 September 2016, 16:25

Thank you very much for your answers. I reported the problem to ASPEN.
The same happens if I create a COMThermo fluid package with hypothetical components in HYSYS and try to load it as fluid package in COFE simulator, the hypotheticals will not be detected and there will be no hypotheticals in COFE. Do you face the same problem?
Motad

Return to Aspen Hysys (Aspen Technology Inc.)