Elemental Carbon

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Elemental Carbon

Postby wmconlon » 26 January 2015, 22:05

I wanted to examine some approaches to carbon capture from coal and petcoke. I was planning on reacting some representative mixes, starting with pure carbon for simplicity.

I wanted to just add Carbon to my property pack but it appears that elemental carbon is NOT one of the compounds in PCDManager.

Are there any issues with just adding elemental Carbon?
wmconlon

Re: Elemental Carbon

Postby Usseglio » 27 January 2015, 00:44

I do not know the process simulation context you want to use C elemental, but maybe you might use Graphite from Solids from COCO solids compounds library, since in nature it is carbon.
Usseglio

Postby jasper » 27 January 2015, 07:08

The solids that TEA supports are indeed in a different library (solids.pcd), and these compounds may only appear in a solid phase. Consequently, critical properties etc are not required. A solid density correlation and a solid heat capacity correlation are required. For enthalpyF, a heat of formation is required.
jasper

Postby wmconlon » 27 January 2015, 22:58

thanks Jasper.

@Usseglio: In the simplest approach, I wanted to react carbon and oxygen to produce Heat plus CO2, but then link that hot exhaust gas into a downstream process, which recycles excess O2. This might be simplest down as an out-of-process (Excel) unit operation.
wmconlon

Postby Usseglio » 28 January 2015, 11:21

I see. Well yes, I think you can do that simulation model easily at first using a fixed conversion reactor, some Measure Units, a controller and so on.
Usseglio

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)