Custom Unit-Unable to Stop Simulation

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Custom Unit-Unable to Stop Simulation

Postby nrgeng » 18 June 2015, 21:55

Any reported problems like this?

An outer flowsheet contains an inner flowsheet. The flow sheet solved. The outer flowsheet Stop icon is ignored by the COFE 2.7.0.23 program.

A Controller SP was 0.65005795 then changed to 0.65 and could not manually stop simulation by clicking multiple times on red Stop icon. Used Task Manager in Windows 7 to end program. What is the issue here?
nrgeng

Re: Custom Unit-Unable to Stop Simulation

Postby jasper » 19 June 2015, 09:22

It probably takes significant time to solve the inner flowsheet.

CAPE-OPEN did not yet provide a means to abort a unit operation from calculating, and there was no way for the outer flowsheet to tell teh inner flowsheet to stop calculating. A proposal has recently been made and it will be implemented on embedded flowsheets soon.

But COFE did ask you whether it should abort the simulation, no? It was after you said yes, that it appeared to do nothing?
jasper

Custom Unit-Unable to Stop Simulation 2

Postby nrgeng » 19 June 2015, 12:41

It seems that I could wait 30 minutes, two hours, whatever and the simulation would not stop. Shall I test it by waiting 30 minutes and then consider that it will never stop?

COFE did not ask whether it should abort the simulation. It did nothing after I clicked the red Stop icon. Usually the icon's background changes to indicate it received the click, but in this case no feedback of receiving the click was given.

Here is what normally happens.

COFE responses after clicking red Stop icon:
    {Stop:} Abort calculation? [Yes] {No]
    {Not converged:} User abort. Keep current iteration results for current recycle(s) or restore to previous stream specifications? [Keep] [Restore]
    {Solve failed:} user abort [Ok] Note: Dialog window is too small so entire message is not shown.
Legend with format of "{ } Message [ ] [ ]"
{ } dialog title
[ ] clickable selection(s)

The good news is that you are aware of the problem and you will implement a fix soon. When do you expect to provide the next COFE release through CUP?
nrgeng

Postby jasper » 22 June 2015, 08:21

Sorry - I missed your follow-up.

30 minutes seems a bit long. Is it using processor time at all during this period?

If you do not get the "Abort Calculation?" prompt something is wrong. Can you reproduce the problem in a form that I can look at it?
jasper

Custom Unit-Unable to Stop Simulation 3

Postby nrgeng » 01 July 2015, 17:04

Yes, it is using processor time all during this period because the "Not converged" dialog appears repeatedly asking to [Restore] or [Keep] the results. CPU usage in Task Manager spikes to 100% after [Restore] is clicked.

I do not believe that I will be submitting a file for your review. The task is too risky with time expense to try to create a shareable file that would duplicate the reported problem.

Any decision(s) or progress on this problem from your end? Any news on the next COFE release via CUP?
nrgeng

Postby jasper » 02 July 2015, 06:23

Aiming to release COCO 3. Waiting for 3rd parties.
jasper

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)