[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
CAPE-OPEN • View topic - Exergy Destruction

Exergy Destruction

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Exergy Destruction

Postby ermorgan » 14 February 2013, 21:44

Is there a way to get COCO to calculate exergy destruction around a unit op? For example, if I had a compressor I know the heat loss, but I don't necessarily have a way to tell the information calculator what the entropy of the I/O streams is. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric
ermorgan

Re: Exergy Destruction

Postby jasper » 15 February 2013, 10:15

Entropy can now be measured using the MeasureUnit. Update is available via COCO Update (CUP). Hope that helps.
jasper

Postby ermorgan » 15 February 2013, 16:15

Wow. Thanks a lot. I'm amazed at your dedication to this project. Some commercial software isn't this good.

Eric
ermorgan

Postby ermorgan » 18 February 2013, 21:41

Hello again,

I'm attempting to calculate the heat flow out of a plug-flow reactor. I'm not sure if there's a simple way to do this. The reactor is a small methanol reactor. I'm measuring the rates of the two reactions at the beginning of the reactor and then using the heats of the reactions to get a total "heat out" term. (I'm incorporating the catalyst, etc to get dimensions of J/s.) The problem is, the rates change throughout the reactor. Is there a way to get the total reaction in the reactor (integration?). My next attempt will probably use the average of three points...

Thanks,

eric
ermorgan

Postby jasper » 18 February 2013, 22:13

Is this the COUSCOUS PFR? Or another PFR? The COUSCOUS PFR accumulates the heat simply in what flows through the reactor, so it will give you the total heat balance, unless you are running it isothermally. Can you give more details?
jasper

Postby ermorgan » 18 February 2013, 22:42

I believe it's a COUSCOUS PFR, it's from the Insert-->Unit Operation in the COFE menu. I can get an energy balance on the report, and by going to the "Balance" tab on the reactor menu. But I'm attempting to access the heat loss through the information streams, which proves more difficult. Right now, I'm getting the enthalpy flow across the reactor using the info streams and measurement device. It doesn't appear to include the heat of reaction, but maybe I'm wrong (I'm using heat of RXN in the solve routine). Under this assumption, I accessed the reaction rates for each reaction and manually calculated the heat rate inside the reactor. Seemed to work pretty well, and I got reasonable answers. I have no heat duty or cooling tubes, so perhaps if I add those in, the heat duty will be calculated automatically. I attached the (very messy) sheet, if you'd like to have a look.

Thanks for your help.

Eric
ermorgan

Postby jasper » 18 February 2013, 23:09

You can get the heat duty on an information stream as follows. The heat duty is exposed as a parameter. Each parameter in COFE can be turned into a virtual information stream. Double click the unit, go to the ports tab. On the Port Operations drop down, select Add Virtual Information Port. Select output, heat duty.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

edit: there was no attachment.
jasper

Postby jasper » 18 February 2013, 23:12

Note that the heats transferred to cooling tubes and external wall are available separately by connecting the (thermal) energy ports.
jasper

Postby ermorgan » 19 February 2013, 02:29

I tried the heat duty virtual port approach, but the answer was 0 watts, which is not the correct answer. Since I'm not using any tubes, etc I can't use that approach at present. I could conceivably add those features to the reactor and then compute the heat duty. From an exergetic perspective, the energy is wasted either way (tubes vs. air). The attachment extension fsd is not allowed. Hmm.

Eric
ermorgan

Postby jasper » 19 February 2013, 08:02

jasper

Next

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)