Heat of combustion

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Heat of combustion

Postby gunley » 01 April 2013, 00:02

Hi
Is it possible to use the heat of combustion from one reactor to heat another one ?
For example - I have a reactor where I'm burning the methane. I want to use the heat generated by burning to heat up the steam reformer. How to do it ? When I attach energy stream to burner it simply says 0 W.
gunley

Re: Heat of combustion

Postby jasper » 01 April 2013, 07:07

What kind of reactor are you burning the methane in? And how are you operating it? If you are operating the reactor adiabatically, you are simply getting a hot product and the heat duty is indeed zero (by specification). You can operate the reactor isothermally, and then the heat duty will be non-zero.

Or you can use a heater/cooler on the product stream (or even a heat exchanger to heat up the feed to the other reactor). There are several options.
jasper

Postby gunley » 01 April 2013, 08:35

Ok,I have found it. The solution was obvious, as you have written.
I'm using a fixed conversion reactor, and after it I placed the HeaterCooler with energy outlet. Probably couldn't figure it out with earlier due thinking in the middle of the night..
gunley

Postby jasper » 01 April 2013, 09:06

Glad to hear the problem is solved.
jasper

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)