[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
CAPE-OPEN • View topic - Refprop

Refprop

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Refprop

Postby Kristian » 02 September 2013, 09:22

I have a problem with using Refprop in COFE. I have set up a water-ammonia mixture through the Refprop Cape-open ppm, which is working fine for direct calculations, but apparently not in iteration loops. I.e. for units which cannot be calculated sequentially I get the error message:

"error: calculate failed for unit HeaterCooler_8: CalcEquilibrium failed: CalcEquilibrium failed: CalcEquilibrium failed: [TPFLSH error 219] outer iteration loop for composition in 2-phase state did not converge"

According to Refprop documentation, [TPFLSH error 219] is simply a failed-to-converge error message. Could this be caused by the data (or lack of) that is sent to the refprop routine?

Kristian
Kristian

Re: Refprop

Postby jasper » 02 September 2013, 11:06

This is a flash convergence failure and is probably due to a bad iteration guess. Can you send me the fsd file in my private mail?
jasper

Postby Kristian » 02 September 2013, 14:23

Sent example file to jasper@amsterchem.com. Thanks for quick reply.

I have not made any effort to provide good first guesses for the iteration. However, when using the built-in property packages(TEA) with Peng-Robinson, this and alot more complicated flowsheets easily converge with the same inputs. Unfortunately there are too large deviations between this and refprop calculations to use rely on them as is.
Kristian

Postby jasper » 02 September 2013, 14:54

Your initial specification is fine (at least in what you sent me; there is no recycle, so no initial guesses are used).

The problem is simply that the flash at X = {water = 0.3, ammonia = 0.7}, T = 30 C, p = 2 bar does not converge. This gives the heat exchanger no starting point.

If you enter this in the NIST front-end you will find the same.

Let us forward the problem to NIST. I will get back to you on this.
jasper

Postby Kristian » 04 September 2013, 06:50

Thanks Jasper, you are of course right, the initial state in question here (30 C, 2 bar) is by chance the "dead" state of the process which is why I confused it for a iteration/initial guess problem.

I am impressed by the level of support you provide, and not only because this problem is caused by a 3rd part.

Kristian
Kristian

Postby jasper » 04 September 2013, 07:18

jasper

Postby Kristian » 09 September 2013, 08:33

Thanks again, problem solved.
Kristian

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)