[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
CAPE-OPEN • View topic - Information Calculator Unit Configuration

Information Calculator Unit Configuration

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Information Calculator Unit Configuration

Postby nrgeng » 22 January 2014, 22:01

The Information Calculator (IC) Unit is a very useful tool. I am pleased that it is provided in COCO.

I have been encountering a series of "problems" with the IC Unit. This is my first posting on the subject regarding these problems. I will e-mail (see private message) a fsd file that exhibits the problems. Here is the list. I suggest a review of my simulation and then configuring it from scratch yourself.

Information Calculator (IC):
1) select IC Unit from Menu then connect output, Z1
2) configure Unit (GUI): inputs, X1 & Y1; output; & formula
GUI [Ports] dialog displays inputs & output
3) no inputs show in Unit [Ports] dialog
a. must add then delete virtual port to update Unit [Ports] dialog
4) change Y1 to Y2
a. displays in GUI [Ports] dialog
b. must add then delete virtual port to update Unit [Ports] dialog
with name change
5) Stream Z1 not displayed in Stream Report
6) change Y2 to Y3: same Problem as #4 above
7) Document Explorer does not update for existing streams when
IC variable name is changed, i. e., Stream Y1 when IC variable
name is changed from Y2 to Y3
8) more later...

I hope you can help.
nrgeng

Re: Information Calculator Unit Configuration

Postby jasper » 23 January 2014, 13:34

It seems to simply be a problem with COFE updating the dialog after hitting Edit at the Status page; the button at the Edit page did this ok.

Can you check if the problem is resolved now? (CUP). Thanks for reporting this.
jasper

Information Calculator Unit Configuration 2

Postby nrgeng » 23 January 2014, 16:02

All resolved except Item No. 6 remains with COFE 2.6.0.17. If you change Y3 to Y4 in the GUI, then close the Unit Configuration, you will generate an Error Message during an attempt to solve the flow sheet. (Unless you follow the Procedure of 4.b before closing the Unit Configuration.)
nrgeng

Postby jasper » 27 January 2014, 12:40

I cannot reproduce this issue. I do get a problem if I do not update the formula accordingly, and as a result of the port name changing the stream disconnects. So the stream has to be reconnected.

Let me know if you find something else.
jasper

Re: Information Calculator Unit Configuration 3

Postby nrgeng » 29 January 2014, 14:59

The problem remains. I am not sure why you were not able to detect this problem. We are using the same fsd file. Every time I obtain the message, "Solve failed: incomplete or invalid specification for unit Ratio: not all inlet information ports are connected."

My procedure is (1) initialize the problem by solving the flow sheet, (2) open the GUI Dialog, (3) change the input variable name from Y5 to Y6, (4) change the output formula from Y5 to Y6, (5) close the GUI dialog, (6) solve the flow sheet. The flow sheet fails to solve for the above reason. An inspection of the flow sheet shows that all the inlet ports are connected. By following the procedure in Item 4.b above, the flow sheet will solve.

The Ports dialog when accessed from the GUI dialog shows the updated input variable as Y6. The Ports dialog when accessed from the Unit dialog shows the updated input variable not as Y6 but as the old Y5. That is the problem to be resolved with your help. I hope that you can duplicate the problem. Feel free to request a new fsd file with the problem installed.
nrgeng

Postby jasper » 31 January 2014, 08:18

Can you send me an fsd and exact steps to reproduce it again? I am having trouble getting the failure you describe. In all cases I try, the port disconnects and needs to be reconnected.
jasper

Postby jasper » 31 January 2014, 09:43

Found it. I found a related error that caused the order of the variables to be mixed up in some cases. Also fixed. Finally I made it so that renaming a variables causes the port to be renamed rather than removed and re-added, so that the stream no longer disconnects (and no longer looses its value). However, this does not automatically cause the stream variable to get renamed; for this disconnecting and reconnecting the port remains required.

Fix is available in COUSCOUS (2.6.0.17), available via CUP. Thanks for reporting.
jasper

Information Calculator Unit Configuration 4

Postby nrgeng » 01 February 2014, 03:38

nrgeng

Postby jasper » 01 February 2014, 10:40

The information in a material stream is phase equilibrium for the compounds defined by the property package associated with the stream. In other words, the information is inherent to the stream. Not so for information streams. They get populated based on whatever they connect to. So it does not make sense to have a stream that is unconnected that still carries information.

If an information stream is connected on two ends, the first end connected will cause the information stream content to be populated. Then connecting the other end should only be allowed by the port of the data on the stream is considered a match. That is, it would be up to a unit operation to refuse to couple an information item that carries the unit of measure kg/s to data that carries unit of measure K/m. Still, typically the names on both ends would be different, so unit operations should not care too much about the name of the corresponding item on the information stream.

I suppose however I could supply functionality to rename the data on an information stream. Will do so in a next update.
jasper

Postby jasper » 01 February 2014, 10:41

(note, copy / paste works, you don't have to actually remember the value).
jasper

Next

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)