[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
CAPE-OPEN • View topic - Heat Exchanger Request for co-current UA reporting

Heat Exchanger Request for co-current UA reporting

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Heat Exchanger Request for co-current UA reporting

Postby HenkF » 08 December 2014, 14:53

Hi Jasper,
An additional request... I noticed that the heat-exchanger model calculates a heat transfer coefficient when in counter-current calculation mode.
For co-current flows it doesn't do. I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't be able to also calculate one. Would it be possible to add this as well?

regards, Henk
HenkF

Re: Heat Exchanger Request fir co-current UA reporting

Postby jasper » 09 December 2014, 14:48

What exactly is the specification of the heat exchanger? Which type? Which mode?
jasper

Re: Heat Exchanger Request fir co-current UA reporting

Postby HenkF » 09 December 2014, 15:13

In Temperature mode Heat Transfer (W/K) seems to be calculated/reported for the counter-current case, but not for co-current. In many cases design (m2 HX surface), temperature and flow data for heat-exchanging equipment are available, and the exchanged heat can be calculated (as the HeatExchanger model does). When an overall heat-transfer coefficient is available, the influence of fouling of the HX tubes can be calculated.
regards, Henk
HenkF

Re: Heat Exchanger Request for co-current UA reporting

Postby jasper » 09 December 2014, 15:34

I am not clear on that. In temperature mode (temperature specified), there is no need to specify co- or counter current and the heat exchanger simply runs a heat balance. Indeed UA is reported for counter-current operation.

Do I understand you want the ability to switch to co-current mode? This will only affect the reported UA.
jasper

Postby HenkF » 09 December 2014, 16:27

I would appreciate the implementation.

The differences showed when an Excel report was made:
Excel HX report.jpg
Excel HX report.jpg (64.74 KiB) Viewed 25128 times
HenkF

Postby jasper » 09 December 2014, 20:21

There are more consequences. Currently, for the T-specified heat exchanger the amount of heat transferred is limited such that T[in,hot] >= T[out,1] >= T[in, cold as well as T[in,hot] >= T[out,2] >= T[in, cold] where T[out,1] is only the specified temperature in case this condition is not violated. For a co-current heat exchanger, this condition changes so that T[out, hot] >= T[out, cold], so the limiting case would be different. More-over, this limiting case requires a 1 dimensional solver to be found (but it only has to be solved for in case the condition is violated at the specified temperature).

It would be somewhat strange to do so for the T specified heat exchanger, but not for the Q specified heat exchanger. This one is limited for counter-current operation such that Q <= max( Q[hot]@T[in,hot] - Q[hot]@T[in,cold], Q[cold]@T[in,hot] - Q[cold]@T[in,cold] ), equivalent to to the temperature limits above. A similar change would apply in case of co-current operation.
jasper

Postby HenkF » 10 December 2014, 19:06

Thanks for your explanation. I see the consequences as you describe it.
Anyway, I'll try to set up a solution using Excel. If this works out, I'll share this with you.
regards,
Henk
HenkF

Postby jasper » 10 December 2014, 21:17

I will make the change, it is in the pipe line. It will just take a bit as I have more pressing stuff on my desk at this moment.

I will try to get to it before the weekend.
jasper

Postby jasper » 11 December 2014, 17:57

Please check that all works as expected? (CUP).
jasper

Postby HenkF » 13 December 2014, 08:47

HenkF

Next

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)