Custom Unit Flowsheet Stream Mapping Problem

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Custom Unit Flowsheet Stream Mapping Problem

Postby nrgeng » 10 June 2015, 02:23

An inner flowsheet solved then I added a second output stream, Stream 26x, (virtual port) to an Information Calculator (IC) Unit. The IC Unit solved when calculated. The External Ports dialog showed Stream 26x as an input not an output stream. The outer flowsheet required the head of a stream, Stream 26y, not the tail to be connected to the Custom Unit. The Custom Unit solved. What is going on here? The Custom Unit mapping is in error. The input stream mates (--><--) not connects (-->-->) with the output stream--strange behavior indeed! The third level flowsheet does not solve giving the message: "incomplete or invalid specification for unit Sub-System: External port "26y (Feed)" is not connected (connect from external simulation environment, or connect internally)" Any Ideas?
nrgeng

Re: Custom Unit Flowsheet Stream Mapping Problem

Postby jasper » 10 June 2015, 07:56

Is it possible to send me the fsd?
jasper

Custom Unit Flowsheet Stream Mapping Problem 2

Postby nrgeng » 12 June 2015, 13:26

I have emailed a sharable fsd file, that demonstrates the problem, for your review.

COFE 2.7.0.23 Problem
My environment shows two sets of File Command Icons: New, Open, & Save

Stream Mapping Problem
Inner Flowsheet:
Within the inner T1# Flowsheet, it solves with two outlet streams from IC-17
Both Streams 42 & 43 are outlet streams
The External Ports dialog shows internal Stream 43 (as an inlet stream) connected to external stream [42y] 43y

Outer Flowsheet:
Within the outer T3# Flowsheet, the tail of Stream 43x will not connect (as it should) {Try it} to Unit Fake
Stream 43y does connect to Unit Fake with its head (error)
Unit Fake validates & calculates but does not solve (this is a problem too)
The error message is "incomplete or invalid specification for unit Fake:
External port "43" is not connected (connect from external simulation environment, or connect internally)"

Hopefully you can resolve these problems with this information.
Last edited by nrgeng on 13 June 2015, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
nrgeng

Custom Unit Flowsheet Stream Mapping Problem 3

Postby nrgeng » 13 June 2015, 14:22

I have completed testing both COFE 2.7.0.23 and COFE 2.9.9.9. They both exhibit the problem identically, but see below for the stealthy nature of the problem.

If the flowsheet that you received by email solved, saving then loading the flowsheet seems to reconfigure the External Ports dialog to list the stream correctly as an outlet. The flowsheet solves. This is another manifestation of the same problem that I am describing.

To obtain an erroneous External Ports dialog listing, just add the second virtual outlet stream to IC_17 of the inner T1# Flowsheet like I did to again display the problems that I am reporting.
nrgeng

Postby jasper » 14 June 2015, 14:09

I am afraid I can still not reproduce it. If I add a second virtual port this shows up properly in the port dialog as information outlet port. You see it as inlet port?
jasper

Postby jasper » 14 June 2015, 14:17

I can reproduce a problem there (in a different manner than you descibe). Investigating.
jasper

Postby jasper » 14 June 2015, 14:38

Located and corrected the problem for COCO 3. For the current release, I suggest you work around it by saving and re-opening the problem, which should indeed 'repair' the invalid port collection. Note that the problem is specific to energy and information ports, it will not appear for material ports.

Thank you for reporting the issue.
jasper

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)