COCO 3.0 released

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Re: COCO 3.0 released

Postby wmconlon » 09 September 2015, 00:28

Thank you.
New Behavior when running COFE 3.0.0.18 (x64): Save AS now throws an error stating 'Stream Names must be unique;'

This is certainly fair and acceptable. I had used the same stream names in some flow sheets, referring to Info about a unit and a stream attached to a unit.

I don't think you should regress, but just wanted to mention it. Perhaps it's the release notes that I failed to read ;).
wmconlon

Re: COCO 3.0 released

Postby jasper » 09 September 2015, 07:24

This is indeed a new restriction in COFE 3 (.0.0.0); the stream naming has since version 2.6 (I believe) already been so that the names were automatically made unique, but no attempt has been made to make existing stream names in recovered documents unique.

With the design to save as zipped XML in COFE 3 the stream names must be unique. Please unzip an fsd file and have a peek at its content. Streams are, throughout the xml file, identified by their name (in unit port connections, in stream reports, in variable references, etc).

Streams must also be unique for flowsheet monitors to work ok (as these see streams as collections, by ID). Currently this is in a prototype version and the only monitors (in COFE: add-ins) available are EPA's WAR and COCO's TERNYP. Finally the CO-LaN specification on this is moving forward, and I expect other simulation environments to also implement this feature. Then monitoring applications will surely follow.

Sorry if new the behaviour is causing you trouble. It is not in the release notes. You will get the same issue with units with duplicate names. The duplicate name check is done prior to saving, so you will not partially overwrite existing documents. I could implement a warning upon loading if name clashes are detected.
jasper

Previous

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)