Problems with COCO 3

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Re: Problems with COCO 3

Postby jasper » 22 July 2016, 07:11

Ok - let me know. I have not yet heard any report about problems with graphics. I must suspect at this point that it is computer specific.
jasper

Postby iqgustavo » 03 August 2016, 19:39

Update:
I uninstalled COFE and related programs.
Shut down and restarted the computer
Deleted left over files on C:\Program Files\COCO\
Reinstalled and while reinstalling I received the following error:
Registration of C:\Program Files\COCO\COFEPrevHandl64.dll Failed. Please register manually

Don't know how to register and simply continued the installation.
Asked me to update the software and performed all the updates available.
Tried to calculate a previously calculated sheet (attached for easy reference) and instead of calculating as normally it would, I get the following error:

Failed to solve unit PV-900A (1): failed to solve unit PV-900A (1): calculate failed for unit PV-900A (1): CalcEquilibrium failed: CalcEquilibrium failed: CalcEquilibrium failed: P below minimum of 611.213 Pa

COCO 3.1.0.12 x64

Please Help
Attachments
2016-07-12 13.21 ElSaltoBypass.fsd
(59.95 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
iqgustavo

Postby jasper » 04 August 2016, 07:24

Good - sounds like all works now.

Your info calculator 1113 outputs 0 bar pressure, which is used in the flash of valve PV-900A. The pressure is undetermined as stream 20 has a zero flow rate. This in turn seems to be controlled by Bypass Active2. Please check this setup?
jasper

Postby iqgustavo » 04 August 2016, 19:13

You are right ... everything works ... hadn't noticed it due to the calculation error message ... but yes ... no more crashing :) thank you very much!
Coming back to the error message ... I am sorry ... this behaviour is not something I expected ...
Please don't be mad ... just would love some more help thank you for your patience =)
If InformationCalculator_1113 has a pressure input of 0.03 bar it should have (or I expect it to have, hehe) as output also 0.03 bar since the outputs are equal to the input...
So the info calculator seems to not be working properly?
now ...
you state that ..."The pressure is undetermined as stream 20 has a zero flow rate"
comments:
-pressure on stream 20 is 41.65 bar (not undetermined)
-pressure on stream 21 is 0.03 bar (not undetermined)
-flow rate is 0 because the bypass was activated ... so the flow was reduced to 0 but the pressure still remains on these lines (and the flowsheet still shows them on green correctly)
and...
"This in turn seems to be controlled by Bypass Active2. Please check this setup?"
...this is correct, when I activate the bypass (by changing from zero to 1) the steam flow is reduced to zero (by sending to other equipment) but the pressures of the equipment are maintained. (Please see NOTE1 below for a different approach on explaining this)
...and the value of this pressure should be the same for PV-900A (0.03 bar).
... what I am trying to say is ... all equipment should always have a pressure no matter if you have positive or no flow... the flow was simply reduced until it got to zero ... but its property pressure should remain with the same value.

NOTE1: You can also see that the flowsheet can calculate with zero flow if you calculate the flowsheet with bypass deactivated (=0) and start increasing to 0.5, then 0.9 and then slow increments until you get to one (i believe it was 0.99 then 0.999 then 1)

As described ... you can calculate it with increments but if you save it and try to open the calculated file it will now show the error and not calculate the previously calculated sheet.

Please if you don't agree with something please tell me =) ... would you agree that the pressure should not be undetermined?
Can this be fixed so that it no longer shows the error and instead calculates everything? (perhaps for future versions if it isn't easy to program)

Thanks for all the help !
iqgustavo

Postby jasper » 05 August 2016, 07:37

Units that have material feeds and the flow rate at all feeds is zero are bypassed by default. This is what causes pressure to be undefined. You can turn this off: double click the unit, go to the port page, and use the port operations menu.

Let me know if this fixes your issue.
jasper

Previous

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)