Production of biodiesel by basic catalysis

Discusses use of COCO, the process simulation and modelling software suite from AmsterCHEM, downloadable from http://www.cocosimulator.org

Moderator: jasper

Production of biodiesel by basic catalysis

Postby Rodrigo » 21 September 2018, 03:39

Good evening! In the process of producing biodiesel by basic catalysis where can I insert the catalyst? in which flap of the COCO simulator is the catalyst? greetings thank you very much. :)
Rodrigo

Re: Production of biodiesel by basic catalysis

Postby jasper » 21 September 2018, 08:46

Which reactor are you using? Normally the reaction rates are specified in terms of mol/s/kg-cat, so only the catalyst loading is of importance. In some instances, pressure drop is calculated, which requires input on catalyst particle size.
jasper

Postby Rodrigo » 21 September 2018, 17:01

Good afternoon! I am using the CSTR Reactor but the article I am using as a base says that the PFR reactor can be used. Which one do you recommend ?
Rodrigo

Postby jasper » 26 September 2018, 09:03

If you follow the article, then I suppose you should use the PFR. In case of the CSTR, double click, show GUI, 'Reactor' will allow you to specify catalyst mass. In case of the PFR, the 'Packing' tab allows to specify the catalyst loading in terms of kg-cat per m3 of reactor. The other parameters in that section are for pressure drop calculations.

Configure the reaction as heterogeneous, then the rate is not per m3 of reactor, but per kg of cat.
jasper

Return to COCO (AmsterCHEM)